People respond to good leadership! Period! This applies to all aspects of our lives, not just business. A mother is a leader at home; a son may be the leader of a team sport or a daughter the leader of the debate team. A group relies on the person in charge to actually lead them to success. A true leader is highly ethical, honest, and respected.
In our society, there are leaders and followers. Are we born to one or the other? No. Can we improve our leadership skills? Absolutely!
The leaders I admire all seem to have these skills:
1. They think BIG! They don’t set an upper limit for themselves. Instead, no limit is placed on how big or how much better something can be.
2. Goals are firmly outlined and never lost sight of.
3. You make everyone aware of the end product they are all aiming for, e.g. if you sell widgets, it takes x widgets to be wealthy, or you want to win the soccer game and eventually the title. You need to know what you are aiming for.
4. You can achieve compliance with orders.
5. When goals are met, they set new goals or raise the bar.
People will willingly follow your leadership if you are honest, ethical, consistent and treat them with respect. Rewarding someone when they have done their job well is always appreciated. A good leader will also fire someone who constantly hinders the group and is simply not a team player.
You can improve your own self-esteem and become an inspiration to others. How great is that!