This article is for contest purpose and IniAbasi Ekong is contestant no.2 in the 1st Edition of TEACH DE WORLD writing contest with the topic “How To Be Focused And Productive In Life”. To vote for him, scroll down to the end of the content and hit the like button. Read his article below:
It has always been man’s target to be successful and productive in life. Many at times, it takes commitment and boldness to achieve this aim. This, therefore can only be achieved when one is focused in whatever he or she does for “anything worth doing is worth doing well’’. According to Henry David Thoreau, “Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it’’.
To be “Focused’’ is to pay attention to something, and to be “Productive’’ describes a person’s capability to do a lot of work, it usually measures one’s efficiency. In essence, you cannot separate focus from productivity because they work in consonance with each other. The ability to focus attention is one of the most important abilities one should possess in order to be productive. It will not be an overtone to say that most people do not have this ability to concentrate. They have divided attention, not being fixed to one subject in a particular time. A divided mind cannot bring about productivity. You need to create an opportunity to be focused, concentrated and hence productive in life. Chris Grosser once said that “opportunities do not happen. You create them”. Therefore, create your opportunities, utilize your resources well, stay focused and attain a productive and meaningful stage in your life.
There are myriads ways one can stay focused and productive in life. But the below are not limited to them;
1. Try to manage your tasks: Keeping tasks manageable is so important in bringing about productivity. You need to streamline heavy tasks into manageable portions. Make sure you tell yourself that what you are to do, you will do it under a set time or period and make sure you concentrate on that and do it.
2. Avoid procrastination: Procrastination, they say is a thief of time. Do not postpone what you were meant to do today for tomorrow. To avoid this, set deadlines and stick to them. When you achieve what you were meant to do before or on the deadline, you will definitely be happy with yourself, because happiness alone is another prerequisite for a productive mind.
3. Stay happy and relaxed; Try to give yourself space; do not overload yourself with millions of responsibilities. Have a rest, relax and be happy. Doing this, your mind will be energized and will be able to think of many other ways to be productive and you will also know what to do, when to do it and how to them, just because your memory is fresh without worries.
4. Set goals daily: This may also be like saying to have a to-do list. A to-do list is just a list of what you want to achieve within a specified period of time in order of their priorities (though not necessary). Set reasonable targets for a day.
5. Avoid distractions: Avoiding distractions from any angle is another key point to stay focused and boost productivity. Here, distractions from friends by any means, cell phones, environment, and lots more should be put away. This way, one will gain hours of productivity when well managed.
6. Have role models and learn from them: “I want to be a business man, oh!, Aliko Dangote, Femi Otedola, Mike Adenuga and many other successful and popular businessmen should be my role model’’. Having a role model enables you learn from the person; how he or she attained such height and this, alone, will boost your productive mindset, enabling you focus, and be like them in your own capacity.
7. Ask for advice: Seek advice from those who know more than you. Learn from them, tap from their knowledge, and put what you have learnt from them into working. This way, you have a step away to being productive because a productive mind is never tired of learning.
8. Obey the power of silence: Muhammad Ali once said that “Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer’’. In other words, the power of silence should never be looked down on. Give yourself space, stay in a quiet environment, think, recreate and map out plans on the steps to take on your productivity journey. Remember, “Great things happen when you are silent’’.
9. Harness the power of your mind and know whom you share your strategy with: To attend the state of productivity, stay focused, and train your brain to do deep work. Be mindful of those you share your strategy with, keep your eyes everywhere, know where to hit when necessary and keep your productive mindset uncorrupted. This strategy has not really been put to play by those who want to be productive. The strategy and simple logic here is; set aside a period of time each day, engage yourself usefully in the hours of that day you have set aside, focus on a task and complete such task without interruption. This way, tough tasks has been solved by your brainpower and a peak attained.
10. Do workouts and exercises: Scientists have discovered that daily workouts and different programs of exercises helps burn down some calories, hence, energizing and boosting one’s health mentally and physically. This way, your body chemistry will be on a normal working way and you will stay focused, having a fresh mind, and making progress in your productivity journey.
In a nutshell, an anonymous once said that “A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes a difference”. Therefore, if all the above are being put into consideration in all ramifications and self-esteem accompanied by prayers is also played out along the line, total concentration and focus also, the quest for productivity in life will be attained for anyone who wishes to reach such a feet.
CLICK HERE to read other contestants articles.