Are you shy? Do you have difficulty getting along with people or situations? Then I have good news for you. You don’t have to suffer from shyness, and you shouldn’t feel insecure and fear that you’ll be judged at every step you take.
Winning the war against shyness takes practice, but is definitely worth the effort because the result is more confidence and self-esteem. You wake up feeling good about yourself, able to face the world with confidence and assurance, and knowing that no feeling of shyness can stop you from achieving your desires.
There are hundreds of books written about how to overcome shyness and gain self-confidence, but there are a few techniques that anyone can use. Here are 6 Ways To Overcome Shyness And Gain Confidence:
1. every morning as soon as you get up, stand in front of a mirror and say out loud, “I feel great! I feel great! I feel great!” Repeat this affirmation enthusiastically at least ten times each day until it becomes ingrained in your subconscious. If you feel a little self-conscious at first, lock yourself in the bathroom. The results will amaze you.
2. Feel comfortable in your skin. Make yourself look pretty. Dress fancy more often. This will give you an added sense of confidence and self-esteem. Just knowing that you look good boosts your confidence and shows others that there are things about you that are worth getting to know.
3. Take a risk at least once a day. It is very invigorating and overcoming fears by taking risks will help you gain confidence and self-esteem. Start with small risks and fears, and once you overcome them, move on to bigger things. There is nothing you cannot do. Be confident, knowing that change can only help you grow and build your confidence.
4. When having a conversation in private or with a larger group of people, let them know you are shy. This prevents people from misjudging you, and you are much more likely to be included in the conversation than just listening and wishing you could contribute.
Many people, myself included, find it difficult to follow a conversation in a noisy room. If you are having difficulty, say so and move around so you can hear. People respect honesty and vulnerability, and you will attract more honest people into your life as a result.
5. Rejection is a fact of life that everyone experiences. It is rarely you who is rejected. If you are rejected, such as asking someone out, remember that everyone has different likes and dislikes. You may be attracted to a certain type of person and not others. The same is true for other people, and you are probably just not their type. This does not mean that you are devalued in any way. Accept this and know that you will get over it. Never take it personally and remember that people who dislike you are doing so because of their own likes and dislikes, not because of who you are. You have the same right to reject others because of your likes and dislikes.
6. engage in an activity that excites you and makes you feel good, or start a hobby that makes you feel relaxed. This can be anything from gardening to Tai Chi to karate. Take lessons, learn or master a musical instrument, or take singing lessons. Do something that excites you and take a risk. Exploring things that excite you is a great antidote to shyness.